UA-494466866-1

Tuesday 20 May 2014

One Republic: Counting Stars - Song Meaning

I think this track was written about the life the songwriter was living at the time.

He's in a busy relationship where the both of them are so worried about the money, paying the bills and stuff, that they forget to simply live life and appreciate the things it offers, therefore,

"Lately I been, I been losing sleep
Dreaming 'bout the things that we could be
Baby I been, I been prayin' hard
Said no more counting dollars
We'll be counting stars
Yeah, we'll be counting stars"

He talks about the conduct people, including him, are living these days, not what they wish they could do, but what they are made to do, what they're forced to do. And it's probably about unnecessary work, rules and manners imposed by society.

"And I don't think the world is sold
I'm just doing what we're told"

Complementing the commentary above, he wants to free himself from those fake rules which are made only to keep people under control, under the 'normal' way of living.

"I, feel something so right
But doing the wrong thing
I, feel something so wrong
But doing the right thing"

In the verse "Everything that kills me makes me feel alive" he talks about drugs, and when I say drugs it's not only drinking and smoking, but it can be anything. For example, adrenaline, gambling, love, etc.

"Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly". Here he talks about those things we are not allowed to do and because of that we are stirred up to do them. It's better because it's forbidden. Or when you want to prove something to someone who doesn't have faith in your capacity.

"Take that money and watch it burn
Sink in the river the lessons are learned"

In this part he says that the money he was referring to earlier will disappear quickly, it won't last forever, it's ephemeral. And you will truly learn the lesson when you go through a tough situation.


One Republic: Counting Stars - Music Video


No comments:

Post a Comment