UA-494466866-1

Monday 31 March 2014

One Republic: Counting Stars - Song Meaning



I think this song is about the lifestyle the songwriter is living. He's in a busy relationship where the both of them are so worried about money, paying the bills and stuff, that they forget to simply live life and appreciate the simple things it offers...

"Lately I been, I been losing sleep
Dreaming 'bout the things that we could be
Baby I been, I been prayin' hard
Said no more counting dollars
We'll be counting stars
Yeah, we'll be counting stars"

He talks about the conduct people, including him, are living these days, not what they wish they could do, but what they're made to do, what they're forced to do. And it's probably about unnecessary work, rules and manners imposed by society.

"And I don't think the world is sold
I'm just doing what we're told"

He wants to free himself from those fake rules which are made only to keep people under control, under the 'normal' way of living.

"I, feel something so right
But doing the wrong thing
I, feel something so wrong
But doing the right thing"

In the verse "Everything that kills me makes me feel alive" it can be anything. For example, drugs, gambling, love, etc.

"Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly". Here he talks about those things we are not supposed to do and because of that we are intrigued to do them. It's better because it's forbidden. 

"Take that money and watch it burn
Sink in the river the lessons are learned"

In this part he says that the money he was referring to earlier will disappear quickly, it won't last forever. And you will truly learn the lesson when you go through a tough situation.

Or...

It could be about a long distance relationship. When he says he's been loosing sleep thinking about the things they could be, it makes me think he's just tossing and turning in bed thinking about how much more amazing their relationship would be if they were actually together.
And he's been praying hard to see her. And no more counting dollars, as in he doesn't have enough money to go see her because he's been struggling with money problems, so he's counting stars?? Long shot right??!!

In these verses, I feel like he's contemplating the situation with himself. He sees the signs that one day he'll see her, but there's just so many things holding him back with money issues.mBut he's not giving up because basically what doesn't kill him makes him stronger, and he loves her too much to much to stop trying. And he finds himself trying to save up money to see her, when he should be worrying about his bills, which is why he feels "so right doing the wrong thing" or "so wrong doing the right thing" 

I could be completely wrong, but that's just how I interpret this song.






No comments:

Post a Comment