UA-494466866-1

Sunday 20 April 2014

Cyndi Lauper: Time After Time - Song Meaning

Wow so I listened to 'Time After Time' tonight, a few times, I never knew how sad a love song it is.

I see this song as a goodbye to someone - doesn't matter the kind of relationship - because life is drifting them away, one stays behind, the other one is going forward but the memory of their love stays forever and each one is ready to come and rescue the other. True love never dies. Any kind of love.

I also see it as a relationship that went bad and is still in limbo (confusion is nothing new) but no matter what she'll always be there for him. But at the same time, the guy sees that he's holding her back. So perhaps this is why it ended...he felt as if he was holding her back and therefore she'd "fall behind". So while she is saying how she'll always be there for him, they're both reflecting on how the other person is doing.

I'm thinking it MIGHT be about love lost. Or about a friendship between a guy and girl, and then the guy (or girl) moves on and the girl just wants to stay put, and just enjoy the friendship because she loves that guy. And she's saying; "I'll be here, time after time." for you, she's saying to the guy, because she loves him, and doesn't want to completely end the relationship that she has. Because maybe she worked hard to become his friend.
If that's the translation (which I know it's not) than I have the exact thing going on. Sad. 


I think too often we think of love as a continued state of good times. I think this song is about the reality of loving someone unconditionally, even when out of time with one another. It's about the challenge that love presents over the course of time- for better or worse, people changing together and apart but choosing each other over and over.
It doesn't have to apply to romantic love alone, but any love between two people that lasts a life time.


I see this song as a goodbye to someone - doesn't matter the kind of relationship - because life is drifting them away, one stays behind, the other one is going forward but the memory of their love stays forever and each one is ready to come and rescue the other. True love never dies. Any kind of love.

this song is about someone who is slowly letting go of another person due to the confusion between them.they arent breaking away from them completely because the feeling is still there. she wants the person to remember that if they are ever in trouble she'll be there for them. no matter what.

3 comments:

  1. “Secrets stolen from deep inside ... “
    This line speaks to the telepathy between twin flames. She’s singing to her twin flame after having been separated from him.
    “The drum beats out of time ... “ Here she’s saying their vibration is off.
    “I'm walking too far ahead
    You're calling to me, I can't hear
    What you've said
    Then you say, go slow
    I fall behind”
    He was chasing her; she slowed down for him, but instead, she lost her momentum (herself). She falls behind and he is running from her out of fear from the strength of the love he feels.
    This happens quickly because it happens simultaneously. What’s important is that they’re still going in the same direction. The dynamic will alternate, as they briefly meet on occasion, out of sync, until the drum begins to beat with time, and then they’ll walk side by side forever.
    If you’re a twin flame, you understand ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lyrics of this song suddenly came out of my mind. So I searched for the song and interpretation then saw your comment. I'm crying �� because it is my situation right now. We're on separation and I'm the DM being out of tune. I somehow feel lost. Prior this song the other one I got is the air supply "Lost in Love". I find it amusing that it's connected. Hoping to unite with my TF soon. ��♥️ Blessings to everyone having the same TF relationship ��.

    ReplyDelete